Tuesday 29 September 2009

A new week, a new bike (pity it's only borrowed!!)

So, got over to Chris's house Friday after work and picked up the bike. Very nice it is too. Monday was hectic first thing, as my son only started school last week we are still adjusting to a new routine in the morning, and I ended up leaving later than usual, hence why I only did a 4 mile trip to work. However, being full of the sort of enthusiasm having a nice new bike to ride brings (even if it is only borrowed), I went the long route home, probably about 11 miles. Trouble is, a couple of miles in, my backside began to really hurt - my supersoft gel filled saddle was still on the knackered bike at home, and the rest of the ride home was quite an uncomfortable experience. As soon as I get home, I'm swapping the saddles over I kept thinking to myself! Typically though, once I'd got home and had been distracted by kids and tales of school etc, I forgot, and only managed to do it this morning. Very last minute as is my way, but there was no way I was risking more pain in the you know what.

So, to celebrate I did 8 miles to work and 10 miles back. The bike, although probably more suited to off road conditions, is a joy to ride, especially the gear changes. Whereas I rarely changed gear on my old bike as the clunking, squeaking and rattling was pretty annoying, so I often ended up struggling in an unsuitable gear, I can now change gear easily and smoothly whenever I need to. Oh what a novel idea eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment