Sunday 18 October 2009

Training Update

After a week of about 70 miles commuting in all, yesterday I set my alarm for 6am and was out on the road by 6.30. I tackled the Hatton route again, and the first 2 miles felt really tough, I was doubting whether or not it was such a good idea as my legs felt tired, but wasn't going to give up that early. Glad I kept going because once I warmed up I felt really good. Once through Knowle it was unlit country lanes, and the roads were really quiet, which was good, because although I have lights on the bike, I was worried about being wiped out by some idiot on 4 wheels, especialy as I forgot to put some credit on my phone.

Anyway, did the entire route, and concentrated on what the experts call cadence (been referencing a few different internet sites), in other words keeping my legs turning at a regular speed, so when I go uphill I drop down the gears rather than getting out of the saddle. Apart from one or two climbs I think it went OK, although there is one hill around the 22 mile mark which is a real toughie. If it were earlier it wouldn't be so bad, and it's not a long climb, but it is the steepest climb on that route, and I had to get out of the saddle for that.

Today my legs feel ok, although that might not be the case when I get back on the bike in the morning, I'm getting more pain from my left knee (which is odd, as my right knee hurt after I first did this route), and my tennis elbow. I may have to go back to the Doctors about that, he did say it might need an injection in it, although a couple of people have told me it's really painful, plus it's not guaranteed to fix it, so I may just leave it.

One final thing, no weigh in this morning, I was out with the wife last night, got pretty drunk, and have felt dreadful all day, and I'm sure that all that Guinness will weigh quite a lot, so I chickened out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment